Halloween is one week from today, folks! This weekend is the perfect time to find that last prop for your costume and stock up on your candy supply. While you’re out shopping, consider branching out and buying a more natural candy instead of resorting to the scary classics.
It’s a balancing point, I know- you don’t want to be the weird neighbor handing out the toothbrush or the apples… but maybe you’re taking a closer look at the label and thinking, “there’s a whole lot of stuff in here besides chocolate and peanut butter.”
Get rid of the guilt and support these three great brands:
Unreal: Candy Unjunked
I got excited seeing these at CVS last year- a sure sign that natural, less-processed food was becoming a real trend. Yes, it’s still sugar-laden candy, but it’s got a lot less hard-to-pronounce ingredients than a Snickers bar.
- Made in North America
- 100% Gluten-free ingredients
- Ethically sourced
- No preservatives, no corn syrup
- Shelf life of 9 months
- Manufactured in a plant with gluten and nuts, so may not be 100% safe for those with severe allergies
- Only sold in the US
- Certified Fair-trade and organic
- Donates to Conscious Alliance, a grass-roots organization that provides youth awareness programs on severe hunger issues
- Gluten free
- Non GMO
- Sustainable packaging (more than other brands.)
- The PB cups often look cloudy and a bit discolored due to “cocoa bloom,” when the chocolate reach temps over 75 degrees (because it doesn’t contain preservatives, it’s effected more than other chocolates.) Still delicious though!
- Only two products: PB cups and Nut Butters (but really, what else could you want?)
Looking to go the extra-hippy route? These bars will encourage healthy eating while still satisfying a mean sweet tooth.
- 100% whole ingredients
- Protein boost (10 grams/bar)
- Many flavors to choose from like Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate
- Great brand with a commitment to social entrepreneurship
- Gluten Free
- The kids will hate you and most likely just give the bars to their parents (who will *love* you!)